Sunday, August 30, 2015

The Psychology Of Old Brainwash

My boyfriend pretty much hides me from his family and friends.  I am not allowed to be friends with his sisters, in fact he wouldn't even give them a copy of my zine.  He said they "wouldn't be interested in that.  At All."  Maybe they really wouldn't be interested, but isn't that up to them to decide?

I let it go, because, there's no point in arguing.  So I'm venting here: (Is he ashamed of me?  His family and friends are cool people, so I don't know wtf he's so worried about...  I'm not that bad!  If I am then why is he with me?)

End Vent.  Begin Rationalization:  This is just "old brainwash" so I'm not going to take it personally.  Old brain patterns can take over when it comes to family.  You become a kid in your mom's house again and play the part of the good child.

However, it is possible to be the adult that you really are around your family, and most likely, they will adapt to you, as they have always done your whole life.  You should just express your opinions and your feelings in conversations with them, and have the maturity to understand and accept theirs.  Like any other friendships in life, create a two way street that you both will learn how to navigate over time.  Duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do YOU think? Thanks for leaving a comment!