Friday, September 18, 2015

Literally, Some Thoughts On Page To Screen Changes

I'm a HUGE fan of Game of Thrones, and the book series behind it.  Some parts of the book were written in such a way that would leave room for interpretation, but when it came time to adapt it for the show, the "room for interpretation" went away and the audience was shown everything.

This happened to me recently.  I wrote the labor day Sucky episode in prose first.  At the end, when Bale said he was thinking about public execution, I couldn't decide:

is he innocently stuck on public execution?
or is he mad at her for going off and making that remark about her?

But in prose you don't need to decide.  You can leave it to the reader.

When I made the video, I included a picture of a vampire being staked through the heart, to make it clear that "thinking about public execution" really meant "wishing I could fucking kill you right now".

Oh, Bale.  You stupid dick.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do YOU think? Thanks for leaving a comment!