Monday, December 15, 2014

I Killed Christmas (But I Swear It Was In Self Defense)


Three years ago,  I learned the hard way: participating in christmas (i.e. obligatory spending of money on gifts for everyone) is not practical and should not be a cultural expectation in today's economy.  When you really think about it, christmas should be a simple, laid-back, gift-free visit, like thanksgiving.

So I cancelled thanksgiving, and changed the rules of christmas to "no presents, just presence", to relieve us all from the financial stress of getting presents for everyone (and to relieve the sweatshop children, but I can't tell them that).

My mom doesn't like it.  Since I don't even put up christmas decorations or a christmas tree, "it just doesn't feel like christmas," so I'm like "it's supposed to feel like thanksgiving" and then she's like, "well I want christmas with presents," and I'm like, "we're too poor for that," and she's all like, "that's what the dollar store is for," and I'm all like, "we're too poor to be blowing money on useless crap every year, and when you shop there you are killing babies in singapore,"

The math alone should be enough to convey my stance: if income minus expenses = not much, then maybe you shouldn't spend anything for awhile, a long while.  Maybe make some sacrifices now that will pay off in the future, like not spending frivolously.  Simple and effective.

So anyway, now we have to go to her place on christmas eve.

Of course, I'm supposed to keep my principles in my mouth, to be polite.  But for real real, for the third year in a row, I am not getting christmas presents for anyone, not even my kids.  That's what birthdays are for!

And for the record, I challenge you to challenge yourself: who do you live your life for?  whose approval are you seeking?  is all of this stress your idea?  is it worth the cost?






No comments:

Post a Comment

What do YOU think? Thanks for leaving a comment!