Monday, November 2, 2015

Avascular Necrosis and PRC

post-op
Avascular necrosis means death from lack of blood supply.  So a couple of my wrist bones somehow lost their blood supply, died and withered, which caused me pain and limited movement.  There was no event, no car accident, no fist fight, no I didn't punch a wall.  If I were angry enough to throw a punch, it would be a left hook.  And that's only happened, like, maybe twice.  

I just thought it was arthritis.  I ignored it for a long time until I couldn't take the pain anymore.  I went to the doctor because I wanted to play guitar again.
my scar today

I was surprised to find out that I needed surgery.  They removed the 3 offending bones from my wrist in a procedure called Proximal Row Carpectomy.  


weird bump
deformed thumb joint

They say it takes up to 1.5 years to recover from this, so that means November 2016.  We shall see.  I had 6 weeks of physical therapy, which amounted to massage and stretching and was excruciating.  My wrist does not bend back AT ALL.  I can't do my girly push ups anymore, for example, cuz I can't bend or bear weight on that wrist.  Or open a jar.

I haven't tried to play piano or drums yet.  I have played the guitar a little, just enough to figure out the chords to "exes and ohs" by Elle King.  I hope someday I can strap on and rock out.  (with my cock out, of course).   At the very least, I hope someday it stops hurting all the time.  Amen.




2 comments:

  1. I am having this done in 2 days and I am petrified. My surgeon assured me that I would have the same range of motion that I do now.. which is very limited but that I could bend it.. also they said no deformity would be visible and other bones would shift down and acted like it was no big deal. I am worried and after reading the things you can longer do I am very worried. How does it feel today?? And is recovery excruciating??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to complain about it but, I never regained my range of motion, my wrist doesn't bend at all, it's like a stick. It hurts all the time, it swells up when it rains, it hurts to open jars but I can do it most of the time. It hurts to play piano and guitar but I can still do it, definitely not as well as before. It does look a little deformed but nobody notices. But I didn't have a choice, you have to remove the dead bones or the necrosis will spread! Honestly, it sucks but you'll be fine. You might even qualify for disability depending on how you make your living... this could even be a blessing in disguise...

      Delete

What do YOU think? Thanks for leaving a comment!