Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Everyone Knew Her As Nancy, But Nancy Didn't Know What That Meant

Just like you, I was born into a family of strangers, that I did not choose, without my permission.  All I knew was, I was Nancy, because that's what everyone called me growing up.  I overheard that I was a smart girl, that I was left-handed, that I was a Pisces.  I overheard that my family was Italian, that my family was poor, that we were witches.  

Just like any other kid, I grew up not knowing what the word "normal" meant to the people outside of my house.  I got to sample other families' normals when I went to my friend's houses.  The compare/contrast to my own family helped me to understand the identity that was assigned to me, along with my innateness.  

Just like you, I have lived as if each decade were a different lifetime, including marriages and careers and kids.

Here's where I'm different:

 I went to a LCSW for counseling.  I took it seriously.   I did the work.  Actual assignments.  I learned more than I ever thought possible.  I spent 5 years in therapy, and of course, being the skeptical, challenging little shit that I have always been, I had to study behavioral psychology, to make sure the counselor knew what she was talking about.

Here's where I'm unique: 

I discovered my talent for explaining things to people in a way that helps them really get it.  I wish I could give an example but I cannot, for I am the keeper of secrets.  But I have helped many, many people.  I am incapable of judging anyone for not knowing what to do, because I was basically retarded until a few years ago.  Add to that a complete understanding of the rigged world we live in, which adds sympathy because that shit is not your fault.  And if that doesn't make me easy to talk to, my hella lameness does. 

 And that was rigged, not rigid, although it is that, too.  And did I mention I use a fake English accent a lot (although I was told it's brilliant by a real Englishman).

For the record, my teaching style is "teach a man to fish" if you catch my drift.  I fish for no one.

Here's the irony:  

When you're right all the time, nobody wants to hang out with you.

It's cool, I get it.  I tell you the truth, it hurts your feelings, you don't visit for awhile.  But you'll come back, because I was right, and soon you'll be wondering how I knew!  Boomerang!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do YOU think? Thanks for leaving a comment!